Syng | 词应
Dictionary App | 词典应用
Syng is a free, open source, Chinese-To-English and English-To-Chinese Dictionary app that makes it easy to lookup words and phrases quickly. Currently Syng works on macOS, Windows, and Linux systems.
Syng is a stylized spelling of cíyīng, the Pinyin for 词应. 词应 has been shorted from 词典应用, literally translating to Dictionary App.
- Syng allows you to search by Pinyin, English, and Chinese characters (both traditional and simplified)
- Syng makes it easy to study Chinese by creating flash cards out of your saved words and searches.
- Syng also tests you on your knowledge and progress of your Chinese to measure your language development.
- Syng allows you to save words and searches to your bookmarks, so that you can reference them later, and even create custom vocab lists.
- Offline Support
- No internet connection required!
- Mac OS X
- Prettify Pinyin
- Convert pinyin with tone numbers with tone marks
- Convert Characters
- Convert between traditional and simplified characters
- Convert 汉字 into hànzì. Turn characters into pinyin
Syng v1.0.0 is the biggest release yet, with some welcome new changes. For a full list of changes, see the changelog.
- Brand new user interface
- 70% faster load time
- Custom vocabulary lists
- New Icon
- Pinyinify characters
- General stability and performance updates
More screenshots available on the Syng website.
To install Syng on Linux, you can you use the pre-built installation script by copy and pasting the code below into terminal. It's good to be cautious about what you are putting in your terminal, you can read the 64-bit install script here and the 32-bit install script here.
For 64-bit systems:
wget -O- https://goo.gl/ybn3yz | bash
For 32-bit systems:
wget -O- https://goo.gl/bjguUb | bash
Alternatively, if you aren't comfortable running the pre-built installation script, you can install manually by downloading the 64-bit candidate here and the 32-bit candidate here and then following the installation instructions provided.
To install Syng on macOS, simply download the
.dmg file from here and then drag and drop the Syng app into your Applications folder.
- Framework for Native Cross-Platform Support
- Chinese Dictionary Database
- The file has been modified to JSON using the Syng Dictionary Creator
- Framework for building user interface
- IView UI
- User Interface Framework
- Heavily modified version of node-cc-cedict by John Heroy
- Node.js framework for CC-CEDICT Dictionary
- Modified to work using hashmaps and support English, and pinyin search functionality.
- Language Detection for Search
This is a Commitizen Friendly Repository. When contributing please use commitizen when committing changes. You can install commitizen using npm:
npm install -g commitizen
- Fork it!
- Create a branch
git checkout -b my-feature
- Commit your changes
- Submit a pull request
- First go to the project directory
- Install the dependencies
- Run Syng
This software is licensed under the GNU Public License 3.