Simple and ultra fast cross platform tool for lossless trimming/cutting of video and audio files. Great for saving space by rough cutting your large video files taken from a video camera, GoPro, drone, etc. It lets you quickly extract the good parts from your videos and discard many gigabytes of data without doing a slow re-encode and thereby losing quality. It extremely fast because it does an almost direct data copy. It uses the awesome ffmpeg (included) for doing the grunt work.
- Lossless cutting of common video and audio formats
- Lossless re-merge of selected segments (for cutting out commercials etc.)
- Lossless merge of arbitrary files (with identical codecs)
- Lossless extracting of all data streams from a file (video, audio, subtitle, ++)
- Take full-resolution snapshots from videos in JPEG/PNG format
- Manual input range of cutpoints
- Can include more than 2 streams or remove audio track (optional)
- Apply a timecode offset
- Change rotation/orientation metadata in videos. Great for rotating phone videos that come out the wrong way without actually re-encoding the video.
Installing / running
- Download latest LosslessCut from releases
- Run LosslessCut app/exe
- On macOS, to open LosslessCut.app, Right Click > Open to bypass the security warning.
- Windows (64/32bit)
- Linux (64/32bit, not tested)
Since LosslessCut is based on Chromium and uses the HTML5 video player, not all ffmpeg supported formats will be supported directly. The following formats/codecs should generally work: MP4, MOV, WebM, MKV, OGG, WAV, MP3, AAC, H264, Theora, VP8, VP9 For more information about supported formats / codecs, see https://www.chromium.org/audio-video.
Unsupported files can now be remuxed (fast) or encoded (slow) to a friendly format/codec from the
File menu. A processed version of the file will then be opened in the player. The cut operation will still be performed using the original file as input, so it will be lossless. This allows for potentially opening any file that ffmpeg is able to decode.
- Drag drop a video file into player to load or use ⌘/CTRL+O.
- Press SPACE to play/pause or ◀▶, ,. to seek back/forth
- Select the cut start and end time. Press I to select the start time, O to select the end time for the cut.
- If you want to cut more segments out of the video, press + or the
c+button to add another segment, then select the next segment with I/O.
- If you want to re-merge all the selected segments after cutting, toggle the button
nm(no merge) to
am(auto merge). This is useful for cutting away certain parts of a video (by selecting everything except the parts not needed.)
- If you want to export to a certain dir, press the custom output dir button (default: input file dir)
- If you want to override orientation metadata, press the rotation button
- Press the scissors button (or E) to export the slice
- Press the camera button (or C) to take a snapshot
- If you want to move the original file to trash, press the trash button
Note: The original video files will not be modified. Instead it creates a lossless export in the same directory as the original file with from/to timestamps. Note that the cut is currently not precise around the cutpoints, so video before/after the nearest keyframe will be lost. EXIF data is preserved.
Press h To show/hide list of shortcuts
- If you have trouble cutting, try toggling the button
kc(kc cut) to
nc(normal cut). Also try to toggle
all(all streams) to
ps(primary streams). See discussion in #13 GoPro 6/7 seems to require
- If you get an error when cutting any kind of file under Windows, please check your anti-virus. It might be blocking execution of ffmpeg, see #18
Development building / running
This app is built using Electron. Make sure you have at least node v8 and yarn installed. The app uses ffmpeg from PATH when developing.
git clone https://github.com/mifi/lossless-cut.git cd lossless-cut npm install
In one terminal:
npm run watch
This project is maintained by me alone. The project will always remain free and open source, but if it's useful for you, consider supporting me. :) It will give me extra motivation to improve it. Or even better donate to ffmpeg because they are doing the world a big favor
- Paypal: https://paypal.me/mifino
- Bitcoin: 1ApBmaN98YtSzTuYofEoSRnYBUycPr5qtC