🚧 Notice 🚧
dext is, at the moment, subject to heavy development. From
v0.9.0, we won't add any feature unless small with backwards compability in mind.
Currently, the roadmap for
dext 2.0 is to move to the direction of having the following accomplished:
- having a hook system for external plugins
- consolidating all packages of dext into a monorepo
Made compatible with Alfred workflows that is powered by node (see: alfy).
Note: Currently available only for Mac OS X platform. Please help contribute for Windows and Linux users.
Download the latest zip file here and unzip the archive. Open
Dext.app and follow the instructions below for usage.
You can also use Homebrew Cask to download the app by running these commands:
brew update brew cask install dext
NOTE: Release version may not be stable as Dext is still in it's early stage of development. Please help contribute towards a stable build.
Toggle Dext Bar
Simply toggle and start typing with:
alt + space
Each item may have it's own action. You can execute an item by double-clicking on the item or selecting it and pressing:
Dext Package Manager
Dext Package Manager (
dpm) is available to download separately.
dpm can be used to easily install and configure your Dext instance. Please refer to the docs over at the
dpm repository for more information.
$ npm install -g dext-cli
The Dext configuration file is located in the
.dext folder in your home directory (
~/.dext/). This directory should contain a
config.json file as well as a
plugins folder. In here, you can drop any plugins.
dpm to easily manage plugins.
.dext/ | --- config.json | --- plugins/ | --- | --- dext-github-plugin/ | --- | --- dext-hackernews-plugin/
- Bookmarks - Search your Chrome bookmarks.
- Browser - Quick open your browser to a given URL.
- Calculator - Quickly calculate something.
- Screen Saver - Starts the screen saver.
- dext-darwin-applications-plugin - Dext plugin to search for applications (Darwin only).
- dext-docker-registry-plugin - Search the Docker Registry for images.
- dext-emoji-plugin - Search for emojis.
- dext-giphy-plugin - Search for giphy images.
- dext-github-plugin - Search for repositories by name on GitHub.
- dext-hackernews-plugin - Search for best, top, or newest stories on Hacker News.
- dext-npms-plugin - Search for npm packages on npms.io.
- dext-omdb-plugin - Search for imdb movies through the omdb-api.
- dext-base64-encode-plugin - Dext plugin that allows to encode and decode any text into base64.
- dext-rubygems-plugin - Search for ruby gems on rubygems.org.
- dext-search-plugin - Search Google and open results in web browser.
- dext-plugin-list-plugin - Display list of all active plugins.
- dext-system-plugin - Display system and battery information.
- To provide a free/open-source alternative to Spotlight, and Alfred.
- Preserve compatibility with existing Alfred workflows.
- Allow customization and extending via plugins and themes.
♥ Dext and want to contribute? I am seeking contributors of any levels to help grow the application. You can help contribute to the growth of this application in many ways.
Like what you see? Become a Patron and support me via a monthly donation.
MIT © Vu Tran