With Zettlr, writing professional texts is easy and motivating: Whether you are a college student, a researcher, a journalist, or an author — Zettlr has the right tools for you. Watch the video or continue reading to see what they are!
- File-agnostic writing: Enjoy full control over your own files
- Keep all your notes and texts in one place — searchable and accessible
- Night Mode support
- Cite with Zettlr using
citeprocand your existing literature database
- Code highlighting for most contemporary programming languages
- Simple and beautiful exports with Pandoc, LaTeX, and Textbundle
- Support for state of the art knowledge management techniques (Zettelkasten)
- A revolutionary search algorithm with integrated heatmap
… and the best is: Zettlr is Open Source!
To install Zettlr, just download the latest release for your operating system! Currently supported are macOS, Windows, and Debian- and Fedora-based Linux systems. (And every other system electron runs on, if you build the app yourself).
Please also consider a donation!
To start developing, simply
git clone and
npm install the app on your local computer:
$ git clone https://github.com/Zettlr/Zettlr.git
$ cd Zettlr
$ yarn install
$ cd source
$ yarn install
(Please note the second
yarn install in the source directory. This is necessary if you want to build the app locally.)
If you use
npm, this is also supported.
To explore the functionality and inner workings of the app, head over to our development documentation!
Before your first
yarn start and everytime you've made changes to either the
LESS-files or the templates, you need to run:
$ yarn less
$ yarn handlebars
to compile both the style sheets and the precompiled
This software is licenced via the GNU GPL v3-License.
The brand (including name, icons and everything Zettlr can be identified with) is exluded and all rights reserved. If you want to fork Zettlr to develop another app, feel free but please change name and icons.